Re: [TCML] Propeller style gap

Hi John "Jay",

Comments interspersed below:

-----Original Message-----
From: jhowson4 <jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 Am I correct in that a 1800rpm propeller gap with 1 set of stationary electrodes

have a break rate of 60bps? thus meaning that a 3600rpm motor is a much better

choice having a minimum of 120bps

I fell pretty confident in the answer of yes, but figured I would check.
----------
Yes, correct, if your rotor has 2 spinning electrodes.  Usually folks use
four spinning electrodes on the rotor to obtain 120 bps from an 1800 rpm
sync motor. For a propeller style gap to have 4 electrodes, a suitable hub
would need to be fabricated to hold the 4 spinning electrodes.
----------

Besides the teletype motors, what other motors have you guys used for a

propeller gap?

My current design has a bit more metal on the rotor (I am adding thermal mass,

and limiting the amount of tungsten needed) , so is there a motor that has a

little higher hp, but also is already synchronous or can be easily modified to

be as such?
Any induction motor can be modified to make it synchronous by filing, machining,
or grinding flats onto the armature.  This process can be considered either easy
or difficult depending on your mechanical skills and tools available. For a
1725 rpm motor, 4 flats are needed.  For a 3450 rpm motor, 2 flats are needed.

Cheers,
John

Thanks,

John "Jay" Howson IV