Re: metrology Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Metrology is absolutely a valid word AND science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology

I was responsible for procurement, training, and annual calibration of lab
instruments for a proprietary project with net worth of close to $1,000,000.
But when you are running lab work on new circuitry, and the systems
under test are more precise and accurate then your measurement
equipment (measure the accuracy of a micrometer with a straight edge
experiment); it becomes real tricky to develop absolute and relative
accuracy to a standard and measurement uncertainty to same.

Usually requires thousands (or millions) of automated measurements
in a temperature controlled, RF tight, non florescent light illuminated
environment.  I have had to run several ANOVA Gauge R&R studies
on new measurement systems as compared to commercial equipment
performing the same measurement but using different measurement
methodologies to determine fitness for use and uncertainty to a
standard engineering unit.

Mind numbing and notoriously anal retentive to determine all error terms
in measurement process...

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA USA