Re: [TCML] new pig driven coil

Hi Joe,
Just a word of advice, using a SRSG on a high current system (which depending on your ballast a PIG generally is) is going to really quench your results with such a small cap, using Java TC you can calculate your optimum BPS for a given cap size. You simply must build a variable ASRSG (both for learning curve and for performance) unless you are so wealthy you can buy enough caps for LTR on a PIG (or you use a high enough multiplier in your sync BPS, so you might be Ok as I see now you are using 240 instead of 120.) I would still recommend it, they are fairly easy to build compared to SRSG, high break rates give awesome effects, and you don't need to change your cap size when you upgrade your circuit breaker to allow more current flow (just run it faster!) My unballasted twin MOT system (just raw AC, no doubler or other nonsense) runs 750 bps sweet spot. The day I upgraded from SRSG I cut my power supply in half and tuned it to the point I was getting longer sparks with half the power (by almost a foot, 69-inches is my record with just 2 MOTs and ASRSG and 61 was my record for 4 with SRSG!) I've seen a pig coil running just a .05 cap do 15 feet using an ASRSG running a high break rate, it is the way to go as far as I'm concerned, infinitely cheaper, more fun, just as long if not longer sparks, I'll never run SRSG again, not even on little OBIT coils (well I might, because now it sits around doing nothing, but I'm going to try ASRSG with a small cap anyway...) Just my 2 cents, take it for what is is (ramblings of an exhausted, half crazy man with nothing better to do at the present moment...) Also note that if your current is kept to about 250 mA or less you're actually Ok with a 240 BPS and that cap, but someday you'll open up your ballast for 600 mA and be disappointed when the sparks don't change AT ALL, this was my big mistake with ballasted vs unballasted MOTs...

Scott Bogard.