Re: [TCML] First light new secondary

Hi Miles,

Congratulations and condolences... :^)

Try disconnecting the Terry filter to see if you get any output from the NST bank. If not, one of the NST's may have failed - this can draw current from all the others, killing output for the entire bank. Your strategy of testing each NST individually to locate the defective one(s) will work. It is NOT likely that you killed all four, but it might be possible that you killed different halves of two of the NST's.

Good luck!

Bert

Miles Mauldin wrote:
Hi all,

Great evening with my first coil in more than 30 years. If you recall
I burned up my first secondary with a design flaw. I did good this
time. No racing sparks, no strikes to the primary nor grounded strike
rail. Looked great and obtained 3+ foot arcs in the air, not to a
grounded point.

This was with the tuning point from JavaTC. I thought I would play
with the tuning to see if I could improve the output. During that
testing effort, changing the primary tap point a half turn at a time,
everything just stopped. Even with everything disconnected I can't
draw an arc on the NSTs. I have 4 x 12/30 on parallel for a total of
12/120. Could I have really killed 4 NSTs?

I have a Terry filter that I adjusted with just the NSTs connected an
nothing else. Any clues?

It's late tonight, but I plan on testing each NST to see if just one
is shorted and grounding the rest. The safety gap fired a few times
but not enough to cause concern IMHO.

My setup is a 4.125" secondary with 25" of 23AWG for 975 turns. K of
.125. 4 x 12/30mA for 120mA total. A blown RQSG with 30nF tank. Total
gap is .21.

Clues? Suggestions? Comments?

Best Regards, Miles