Re: [TCML] Coil V5 - first light

Some comments -

Tight coupling and high break rates results in approximating CW operation
- this is what Tesla was doing with the magnifier system. A high-power CW
'master oscillator' end-feeding the free-resonant 'extra coil'.

Faster break rates don't really dimish the discharge energy unless the
break rate is faster than the 'ring-up' time in the secondary. (Hence WHY
maggies use tight coupling AND high break rates - not a matter of maximum
secondary voltage, rather, maximum secondary CURRENT.) Another thing that
is often overlooked in RSG's is the conduction -- dwell -- time. THAT is
more important than the break rate in reference to coupling and ring-up
times. Match the dwell angle to the ring-up time and the efficiency starts
to really climb.

I am now running my system at 600 bps(!) full synchronous, 0.06uf, 12Kv
input. I still get effective ring-up, no drop in voltage, but the high rep
rate packs a whole lot more energy per second into the discharges - BRIGHT
WHITE arcs to ground and 6+ feet in length. Not bad for 4Kw input, and the
secondary coil is only 10" diameter and 20" in winding height (2:1)...
Hasn't broken down yet in over 12 years of operation...

- brent turner