Re: [TCML] Can i use an NST as ballast ?

Ok, the power output from my potential transformer will never be more than the ballasting NST. So if my NST is rated 500VA i will get 500VA or less from my potential transformer. But if i add two 500VA NST:s in parallel i get 1000VA or less.

Guess its time to find some MOT:s.

Thansk for the help guys.

From: "David Speck" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 8:27 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Can i use an NST as ballast ?

Andreas,

First,

Measure the primary current on your NST when its output is shorted. It will probably be 1-10 amps, depending on the rating of the NST.

After you connect the primary of the NST in series with the primary of your potential transformer, the total primary current in the circuit will be somewhat less. Calculate the primary volt-amps (your line voltage times the limited primary current measured above). (Volt-amps are not quite the same in an inductive system as watts, but OK for a rough approximation),

Finally, calculate the maximum possible secondary current by dividing the volt-amps value previously determined, by the rated output voltage of the secondary of your potential transformer.

In reality, the actual output current will be less, 'cause you will have a voltage drop across both the primary of the NST and the potential transformer.

As previously suggested, you may need to parallel several NSTs to get sufficient primary current through your potential transformer. To calculate the primary volt-amps, sum the current draws of each ballast transformer, and multiply the sum by your line voltage.

You could also use shorted microwave oven transformers as ballasts if you have them available. They may draw 10 - 20 amps each, depending on their ratings.

Dave