Re: [TCML] 715B VTTC

Vladi

Tube is a 1950-60's vintage radar pulse modulator tube capable of 17A
at 17kV maximum input.
Can also be used as a gated high power oscillator (very short duty
cycle <<5%).  Non-standard
filament voltage (26V, 2A)

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_715a.html

http://zugzwanged.org/dat/bin/electronics/120_White_RSI_63_3156_1992_Hi_Pwr_Microwave_Pulse_Gen.pdf

The above reference actually shows tube in its intended use
with circuit parameters.

Tube characteristic curves are at:

http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/061/p/P535-1E.pdf

PRECAUTIONS:
1.  Tube filaments are oxide coated (to achieve high cathode current capacity)
     and require a minimum of 1 minute warm up prior to use, longer heating
     time is necessary to achieve "gettering" effect on vacuum if operating tube
     close to its maximum ratings (15kV, 3 minutes per above "P353-1E"
reference).
     If HV is applied sooner, cathode coating can be stripped off
filaments, leading
     to anode current reduction and eventual failure.

2.  X-Rays:  At voltages tube is capable of operating, soft X-rays can
and probably
     will be generated.  Tube, socket, and oscillator support hardware should be
     installed in metal enclosure with feed-through insulators sized
for applied voltage.

3.  HV KILLS.  The pulse power capability of this tube is sufficient
to be hazardous!

4.  Cooling- recommend force air cooling to prolong tube life.  Note
well the tubes
     continuous CW anode dissipation is only 60W.

I have 5 NOS versions of this tube with 4 ceramic latch down sockets, hope to
eventually build a pulse modulator type VTTC using two of these tubes in
push-pull.

Regards

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS