Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] CW magnifier

Carlos,

What would be the reason for going to a magnifier?

Some of the earliest SSTCs were essentially magnifiers.  The drive was a
ferrite transformer that was used to step up a few hundred volts from a
silicon bridge and "base feed" the bottom of the resonator from the HV
output of the transformer.  This method was generally abandoned for the
typical primary coil drive as the HV ferrite transformer is non-trivial to
design properly.  Anyway, there's no reason you couldn't run a more
"typical" magnifier from a CW driver, but i also cant think of any reason
this would be beneficial over a 2-coil system.

Steve