Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] CW magnifier

Carlos,

What kind of performance do you "need", and what are you getting now?
Quasi-continuous mode coils are different than transient mode coils where
you can just keep pushing power into the coil to get longer sparks.  With
QCW coils you reach a point where greater power input will only lead to
streamer splitting, and branching. To effectively make long QCW sparks you
need to carefully control the top voltage so that the streamer does not
split or branch.  You can't get that sort of control from a simple
transformer and doubler arrangement (typical in many VTTCs).  The best I
have been able to do with MOTs and a doubler on my coil was 35".

-Phillip Slawinski

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 22:43, Carlos Van Camp <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx