Re: [TCML] Racing arcs and primary resonances

Paul,

I like your Poulsen resonance hypothesis.

Here's some speculations.

I suspect that when my gaps heated up, the firing voltage decreased
not so much because the gaps became physically closer together
(due to expansion of the metal due to heat ---  although that is a factor
too), but because the hot gaps tended to ionize the air at a lower
voltage.  Because of this, I think the firing voltage was greatly
reduced, and the break-rate may have risen quite high.  During
parts of the 60Hz AC cycle, the gaps may have failed to de-ionize
and may have been in a power-arc or semi-power-arc state (which
would lower the break rate at those time during the 60Hz AC cycle).
Or even if no power-arc existed, the break rate may have risen so
high during portions of the 60Hz AC cycle, that the primary
capacitor may have had very little time to charge.  This same
condition may have occurred in Brandon's coil when he turned
up the variac to 140V.  These conditions of intermittent power-
arcing or very fast break rates giving the capacitor very little
time to charge may in some way contribute to the formation
of Poulsen resonances and racing sparks as a result.  If the
gaps re-ignite much more rapidly than normal, the
reduced capacitor charge voltage may favor the production
of the Poulsen resonances, and/or permit them to persist.

If Brandon scopes his coil, it will be interesting to see if there
is evidence of power arcing, very high break rates, and low
levels of capacitor charging during parts of the 60Hz AC
cycle which would normally see higher voltage levels.

Cheers,
John