RE: [TCML] Tesla's topload

Gents,
Taking the thread back a bit, I wonder how a true Tesla "bumped type" toroid
behaves with regard to streamer behaviour. I recently tried a single 'bump'
on my toroid in an effort to get a fixed point for a streamer to attach to,
but because of its lack of a sharp point, it was hopefully not going to
lower the toroid's hold-off voltage too much. This particular toroid's
'bump' can be seen here
http://www.extremeelectronics.co.uk/gaussfest2011/index.php on Derek's site
(about half way down titled "......which appeared to have caught something
nasty")

The results were disappointing though as while it provided a point for the
streamer to emit from without moving around, the discharge streamer seemed
to have less power to it with lengths down a bit as well.
When this was replaced with the conventional break-out point that I use, the
discharge was better (a  foot longer maybe, though not measured) despite
this replacement breakout being just an old screw with a point to it that
would definitely have lowered the top 'hold-off' voltage.
(The tuning was not affected to any degree as this was checked by a scope
and sig gen)

Regards
Phil Tuck
www.hvtesla.com