Re: [TCML] HV resistor

On 4/15/11 10:36 AM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The purpose of the resistor is to be the divider between a Gabriel electrode and the running electrode in a Jacobs ladder
Input power is 15Kv @ 60ma.

The 3Meg series of 1W 1Meg had a really interesting failure mode where the air around the resistors become ionized (enviably flashing over) resulting in the Gabriel electrode never forming an arc and yet still drawing enough current to fry the resistors. So it was decided to just pay little more and go to more professional resistors.

I cant use a water or oil for safety reasons.

I was thinking about paralleling 5 of these; eBay item number 250779003858
But, I figured that people on list might have something that would work laying around.

Well, one of your problems is you're putting 5kV across a 1 Meg resistor. Aside from the voltage breakdown problem, you're going to cook them.

Oil isn't a big deal. you can put the resistors in series, put them in a piece of plastic tubing, backfill with oil, and clamp the ends.