Re: [TCML] MMC help

Hi James,

Hobbyists typically construct their MMC's with the string voltage rating
greater than or equal to the peak NST voltage.  So for your 15kV NST, that
would be about 21kV, so you have plenty of headroom.

Also typically, we try to size the capacitance to ~1.5X the mains resonant
value, which for your 15/60 NST, is about .01uF at 60 Hz (about .013uF @50
Hz).  This is known as an LTR or Larger Than Resonant value, and has been
found to perform better and have lower risk of damaging the NST should your
spark gap be set too wide.  So if you're in 60 Hz land, I would recommend
targeting ~.015uF, but the exact value isn't at all critical.

So you could use a lower number of caps per string, which would reduce the
voltage rating while increasing the uF rating.

I don't think there's any functional problem with the cap you've selected,
but you may find you bet more bang for the buck (or pound or euro) if you
select a cap with a higher uF value, to avoid having to assemble soooo many
caps as you're looking at!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA