Re: [TCML] Top Load Output

Hi Cole,

as Gary and Jim mentioned, you can guesstimate the theoretical value of the maximum voltage obtainable, but that's about it. Here's one of many methods and I'll use Javatc's default coil outputs for C's and L's as it's repeatable reference.

TopV = peak voltage at tank x sqrt(Cp/Cs)
TopV = 21000 x sqrt(.0188uF/39.334pF)
TopV = 459.1kVp

Note above the 39.334pF is the Cdc value at low freq. If we use C at the resonant frequency (Ces in Javatc), then Cs is 27.728pF. Using this value (which is a little more appropriate for the goal) our output in this case will increase as follows:

TopV = peak voltage at tank x sqrt(Cp/Cs)
TopV = 21000 x sqrt(.0188uF/27.728pF)
TopV = 546.8kVp

We can do a simple cross check with peak base current:
Ibase = (Transformer peak output voltage x sqrt(Ls/Lp))/Sec Reactance
Ibase = (21000 x sqrt(17.346mH/25.669uH)) / 25011
Ibase = 21.8 Amps peak

Then:
Vtop = Ibase x Sec Reactance
Vtop = 21.8 x 25011
Vtop = 542.2kVp

Note, Ibase listed above is a peak value (rough equation also). The average base current is FAR lower near 1 or 2 amps, however, it is important for us to use the peak base current as it is directly affecting the breakout conditions at the top of the coil. Also when measuring base current for this purpose, you want to use a current transformer with decent bandwidth and a scope capable of capturing those peaks. The REAL value of top voltage is going to be much lower due to breakout conditions with factors relating to geometry and environment. In the end, the breakout voltage on this coil is going to occur likely between 250kVp and 300kVp, a far cry from the theoretical possible. So as fun as it is to play with these numbers, without being able to identify the actual breakout voltage, these "max possible" values are sort of an academic exercise.

Best regards,
Bart B. Anderson