Re: [TCML] Black Plastic

On 12/9/11 5:57 AM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello everyone,

I acquired a 1" OD length of black plastic from the machine shop here at college, I have no idea what it is. Its very hard, non translucent at its edges, not flexible. What is everyones opinion on it becoming a propeller gap spindle?

There's some tests you can do by taking a small shaving and trying to burn it. Look back in the archives about 10 years or so..

If I had to guess, I'd say probably Acetal CoPolymer aka Delrin(tm). It's a commonly used machineable plastic with good mechanical and thermal properties.

If it were nylon or abs or PVC or any of the polyethylene or teflon families, you'd notice either the softness or the slipperyness.

Back in the day, 100 years ago, one would ask whether it is ebony (wood) or Ebonite (a hard rubber: think old bowling balls) or Bakelite (particularly the latter.. hard phenolic resin.. think old radio knobs or Kodak brownie box cameras)

Delrin is kind of like "black aluminum" in feel.

As to electrical suitability...

It's black because they use carbon black as a UV inhibitor. Whether that makes it less insulating is hard to tell. It depends on the specific formulation.

Try it and see.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV