Re: [TCML] Black Plastic

UHMW is pretty soft and it worked fine...
I think you basically want something that machines cleanly, is non conductive, and withstands a bit of heat.  My propeller gaps had a 7" tungsten flying electrode.   Heat was never an issue.
They ran happily, exploding only occasionally when I decided to use a high speed vacuum cleaner motor as an ARSG driver.   Then the motor mountings shifted ever so slightly, and the flying tungsten hit one of the stationery electrodes sending shrapnel all over.
Lucky for me, I had some moderate trepidation before the running of this and had propped some 1/4" plywood around the gap.   All that happened was that the tungsten impaled the plywood instead of me or my bystanders.  Things would not have gone so well otherwise.

Joe