Re: [TCML] small coil with huge streamers?

That coil doesn't look like it will handle 1800W unless you had a
really lossy system, so that most of the power was being wasted.

It's definitely possible to get streamers out of a small coil that are
several times the secondary length.  I have a small coil (3.5" x 12"
winding) that I can easily get five foot sparks out of.  This is much
easier to do with solid state than spark gap coils.  Solid state coils
give you more control over how the power is delivered, allowing you to
grow larger sparks without flashing over the secondary.

This is my DRSSTC V which has done 64" sparks from the 12" winding.
As I recall, it takes about 1300-1500 watts for that kind of output.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/4550187194/in/set-72157623355704761

An earlier version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/3810246246/in/set-72157623355646595