Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

I built a Jacob's Ladder using an industrial ignition transformer and some brass welding rods many years ago. I sat on my tool box at work and each morning when I came in to work I would plug it in and it would run the whole day and nobody would touch my tool box.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Steinberg <david.steinberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, Feb 1, 2011 11:39 am
Subject: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

I have a 9kv / 30mA NST, some ¼” copper tubing, 7 CDE 942 caps (0.15mfd
,000 v) and high voltage wire left over from building my tesla coil.

I’m looking to construct a good jacob’s ladder.  Here are my design
arameters:

1.      The voltage / current should be sub-lethal.  That being said, I
hink the 9kv transformer may not be powerful enough.  I would consider
uilding a voltage multiplier, etc., if that would help.  Or switching to a
5 kv NST.
2.      I’d like to use my left-overs, but I don’t mind buying a few new
hings;
3.      A simple coat-hanger V-design is out of the question.  It must be
nteresting – perhaps a spiral, perhaps something different and interesting;

I am looking for any and all ideas and / or designs.  Should I go ac or dc?
s there a simple way to boast the power of the 9kv transformer, or should I
o with something else?  Anyone have a great and novel design?

Thanks,

David