Re: [TCML] Discharging series caps: an experiment

[belatedly]

> Interesting Dave.
> If you had 33% of the charge left at 30v input,
   There was near 100% of the charge on the 'middle'
   cap.  (I didn't check the end ones...)  30VDC
   across a three element string, 10ish across the
   mid element, after 'short'.

> then assuming it scales up,
   Can't think why it wouldn't, but I've been rong
   before.

> that then becomes quite significant on a 2000v
> charged cap!
   Just so.  I haven't HVDC handy, the next step
   would be verification/replication at any,
   preferably higher voltage, and/or a 'spice'
   run, or equivalent...

>> Subject: [TCML] Discharging series caps: an experiment

>> Following on on the discussion of discharging series caps, i wandered
>> into the shop and started rooting about.  Came up with 3 more or less
>> identicalish 6uFd, 600v, ac caps, which, if memory serves came out of
>> old ferroresonant supplies.
     [look to be 'oil' caps, from size/value/etc...]

>> For convenience, safety, etc, used a 40VDC, variac adjustable, supply,
>> with 50,000 odd uFd filter.

>>  wire caps in series.
>>  discharge all, individually.
>>  set PSU to 30vish(DC).
>>  charge caps.
>>  disconnect PSU.
>>  verify 10VDC across center cap.
>>  short _ends_ of string.
>>  STILL 10VDC, maybe a bit less across 'center' cap.

>>  Repeat until bored.

    best
     dwp