[TCML] Thruster success

After some tinkering, I had a very successful run of my "asymmetrical capacitor thruster" device yesterday. Following the general design on Jean-Louis Naudin's website, I built a base and frame out of 1/2 inch PVC Schedule 40 pipe and a 1/2 inch thick HDPE cutting board. Making bearing that turned freely and conduct the high voltage DC needed to make the device turn took a little thought, but I ended up using aluminum spacers and undersized (6/32) brass screws as axles.

My first three thruster designs did not work well. I was trying to use a simple air gap (as NASA did) to space the forward small electrode from the larger rear one, but that didn't yield much thrust. I ended up reverting to my electrostatic/Tesla coil roots and using a 30 mm cardboard tube, well shellacked, and closing off the front end with a thin layer of foam rubber. The front electrode is a thin, 30 mm disc made from cheap charm bracelet charms (but it is gold-plated!). The rear electrode is made from soft drink can aluminum.

For power, I ended up using an old Dell CRT monitor. I detached the HV cable from the picture tube and attached some wire to the ground cable wrapped around the picture tube.

I experienced an interesting problem. The wire to the + DC connection I routed through the PVC tube frame. When activated, it gave off such a strong field it actually caught and held the turning thrusters. Talk about a "force field!" The trailing edge of the thruster is the - pole, and when they swept past the + wire they would catch and stop turning. I cured this problem by sheathing the + wire in vinyl tubing and rearranging the cables to the CRT under the HDPE base. The device still makes an audible pop every time one of the thrusters passes the support containing the + wire.

I haven't calculated the exact RPM yet, but it's quite fast. Spews ozone, too, though not as badly as a TC spark gap.

I'll shoot some video of it soon.

PBT