Re: [TCML] 4'-5' tesla coil sparks?

If you're going to do this job, do it right. I have never seen a TC built
for under a few grand that is acceptable in a commercial environment, and I
have seen TC's built for 10's of grand fail in a commercial environment.
It's situations just like this one that make those of us doing TCs
professionally loose work.

Here's how it goes: Company X wants an HV effect but has no idea what they
are doing - they research the effect - they talk to someone with the
experience to do it right - they think it costs too much or the someone
tries to sell them something they can't actually see through to completion -
they shop for the lowest price - they build or buy for cheap - everyone has
the best intentions and high expectations - the equipment fails - it's fixed
- it fails again - repeat until company X gets fed up and wants nothing to
do with HV again, then tells everyone the meet how impossible it is to do.

This happens more than most hobbyists realize, at least until they find
themselves in the middle of it. I'm not doubting any ones ability as an
engineer, but doing this right is not just about engineering a coil that
works just like the one in your garage. I use more than $800 in material to
build my enclosures, let alone the coil. Take your time, design a good
system, and make them pay for the right parts. Whether or not you want to
donate your time is your business, but the more people that do this for free
the harder it will be for anyone to make money at it.

Aron