Re: [TCML] Maxwell 31173 fail

It worked pretty good.  My prior resonator was an 8" form wound with 22ga.  and an 8"x32" topload made from flexible airduct.  Got a whole load of ground strikes with that and it was killing my ARSG rectifier with every run (after about 10 seconds).

This larger resonator gives me what I think (can't prove with measurements) is exactly the same spark length (because I'm using exactly same power supply) but because it's physically taller I don't get the ARSG-killing ground strikes.

Of course, the topload design is a knock off from Finn Hammer, and later Steve Ward.  I didn't have any measurements so I just tried to reproduce a 12"x48" geometry.  I also didn't have any nice source of local aluminum tubing (at reasonable prices) so I used what I could get my hands on, which was rigid 1/2" copper.  The local Hardware supply place (Rural Supply, Los Gatos, CA - they sell hay and chickens, too)  had a couple 10' lengths of the schedule "M" which I had to solder/splice together to get the requisite length for the hoops I needed.

I simulated the hell out of the thing before construction over the XMAS holiday - but as I am not all that bright - I just "presumed" to use the solid toroid model for the topload in my initial calculations.  Then Bart explained the simple method for simulating the hoop design in JavaTC.  I was hoping that due to the wavelengths at the f0 of the resonator, that somehow the hoop topload would appear more "solid" to the EM fields, trying in vain to invoke my ham radio experience.  But even that was wishful thinking, and my old copy of Elnec is somewhere archived with my old desktop in my garage.  Simulating with that probably would have tipped me off.  Though JavaTC was dead on when I did the right thing with it.

Anyway, the resulting f0 with hoop versus a solid model yielded a 10kHZ difference in f0.  So instead of resonating in the 50's kHz, as you can see from the sim results I posted, I'm in the 60's.

My plan was to use this resonator for my DR power supply, but now I worry the f0 is too high for that, so I'll have to figure out some mods.

Joe