RE: [TCML] MOT series

Scott,

Several of us on the list have measured the no-load current drawn by MOTs as
the primary voltage ramps up.  The below is voltage vs current for 4 MOTs
with primaries in parallel:

70

0.5

80

1

85

2

90

3

95

4

100

5.5

105

7.5

110

10.5

115

14.5

118

17.6

You can see the cores start saturating at about 100 volts, and the current
triples by the time you get to full mains voltage.  Therefore, instead of
running pairs of your MOTs with primaries in series, just keep the voltage
from being more than 100 volts into each primary.  You can do this with a
variac. Or you can modify another MOT by cutting off the secondary and
winding enough turns of #12 or #14 wire to produce 18 volts at 15-20 amps.
Then add this in series-opposing (to subtract 18 volts) in the primary
circuit for your other MOTs.

--Steve Y.

  _____