RE: [TCML] Beginning Tesla Design

Taylor,

Here is an idea that might satisfy (& scare?) your teacher.  This came from
gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and was published in this list in Dec 2007.

Replace your top load with a pie pan from your kitchen.  Put about 1/4 cup
of alcohol in the pie pan.  Not rubbing alcohol is contains water.  Buy some
alcohol from the paint store it is 100% alcohol.  Ignite the alcohol it will
burn a nice blue flame only about 4" above the pan.  Turn on the Tesla Coil
it turns into a 36" ball of what appears to be millions of micro size blue
sparks forming out of the pie pan.  When the alcohol burns away about 20
seconds the sparks go down to normal type TC streamers.  I have done this
with my 4" TC.

The idea would be to hypothesize what causes the spectacular changes when
the burning alcohol is excited with 100 KV of RF.  I doubt this has been
publicized in anything your teacher would be aware of.  If you do this,
please let this list know your results.  If this is for a science fair,
there are probably restrictions regarding 36 inch fireballs, etc., so you
may have to just display your apparatus and show photos of your experiment
done in the safety of your back yard.

Has anyone else done this?

--Steve Y.

  _____