[TCML] Cap Discharge Questions

Hi all,

So I'm considering using a Maxwell 37667 for the capictor in an NST spark gap coil. After reading the old posts, I have a couple questions on discharging the capicitor. And this could apply to any suitable larger pulse capacitor I suppose:

1) I read and agree that after running the coil and turning it off, the capictor can and should discharge through the tank primary and NST secondary windings. In one of the older posts, it was suggested that using a hot stick to the cap would short circuit the discharge mechanism through the primary and NST windings. While hot sticking the capacitor would short circuit it to ground, wouldnt' that be equally acceptable as it would allow the capacitor to discharge to the RF ground? And that would also assume you were able to turn off the coil and get over to it in time to short circuit it to ground prior to the capacitor discharging through the tank and NST windings.

2) It would seem to me a safe process to discharging the capictor would be to allow an appropriate amount of time for the cap to discharge through the NST windings. Check the cap with a multimeter with a suitable high voltage probe. And then if it's not discharged, discharge it with a capcitor discharge stick or a hot stick. Recheck the cap at that point and then do any adjustments to the coil, etc. Or am i missing something?

Lastly, assuming your capacitor maintained a voltage on it somehow, is it better to use a capaictor discharge stick or a hot stick to discharge the cap or does it matter for a pulse capacitor since puluse capacitors are designed to take rapid voltage reversals? Could you damage the capacitor by hot sticking it?

Thanks,

Derek