Re: [TCML] Best design for a 15KV 120mA trans?

Gary Lau wrote:
I would disagree with this advice.  Going between a static and SRSG
gap entails, at a minimum, also changing the cap value and primary
inductance. One cannot simply swap a static gap with an SRSG, leaving
everything else unchanged.  The capacitor needs to be a much larger
value with an SRSG.  If a properly sized cap for a static gap were
used with an SRSG, the safety gap would fire non-stop.  If a properly
sized cap for an SRSG were used with a static gap, the NST would draw
crazy-high currents.  The tables relating proper cap size to NST
parameters have separate columns for static/LTR and SRSG gaps.
You'll be disappointed if you try to use the wrong cap size.

Perhaps you might have missed the part where I stated, "have a static gap to use at low voltage," or perhaps I should have specified exactly what I meant by low voltage.

For initial tuning of the primary tap at low voltage, I use ~40% of mains, and for the static gap, I use 0.025" (0.635mm).

As I stated, this is for initial tuning, NOT for full-power usage.

Additionally, I neither stated nor suggested to use a SRSG in a system designed for a static gap.

Jon Danniken wrote:
You will still want to have a static gap to use at low voltage so
you can get the primary coil at the right tap (use a ground rod near
the toroid for this).  Once the primary is properly tuned, then you
can sub in your rotary gap, and adjust it for the proper gap
presentation with your Freau controller.

Jon