Re: [TCML] 35 KVA Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil

On 7/4/2011 2:52 PM, Futuret wrote:
Roger, Carlos,

Nice work guys!

For basic VTTC's I use the formula:

   spark length (inches) = 0.5*sqrt input power (wallplug watts)

So for 35kVA that gives a 93" spark length.  Often coils don't quite
meet the 0.5 factor, so it may be better to use 0.4.  That would
give a 74" spark length.  Also the true wattage will be somewhat
lower than the kVA figure depending on your power factor.

Roger your system may be suffering due to insufficient current
stiffness from your pole pig at 35kVA.  Nothing makes normal
basic VTTCs suffer as much as power supplies that aren't stiff
enough.  Yes it will be stiff at 5kVA or even 10kVA, but not at
35kVA.  You can probably obtain the 49" sparks using 10kVA
if everything is optimized.  It's the current peaks that are needed
for long VTTC sparks, but it's at the peaks where voltage drop
will be greatest.  You can get around all that of course by
using Phillip Slawinski's method.

BTW when I first was building my first 36" spark VTTC, it tended
to draw 75 amps (150 amps?).  Only after careful tuning and
adjustment I got that down to 28 amps or so, with the same
spark length.

Yeah filtered DC doesn't let the sparks grow, some sort of
pulsed action, such as raw AC as a minimum is needed for long sparks.

Cheers,
John