Re: [TCML] Confusing Between 1/4 and 1/2 Wave Coil

Cole Awesome-Jordan wrote:

Hi, I've had a bit of free time recently and i decided to go digging for information on bipolar coils and the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 wave coils. And I read this http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2004/January/threads.html#00804 however this got me quite confused on the subject. When you calculate a "normal" coil with kHz=1/(2*?*L*C) is this half or quarter wave? It's half isn't it? And if you have a bipolar coil that is 1000 turns of 26 gauge magnet wire (55.25 turns per inch) and the form is 2.375" by 18.125" (approx.) what is the frequency? Because I've been getting all sorts of answers some say multiple the frequency by 2, another said 1.38-1.4, and a really odd answer I found of 2.6 somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Whoever invented the name 'quarter-wave coil' really confused the subject for a lot of people. This is a supposed analogy to a grounded quarter wave antenna fed at the bottom - the maximum voltage appears at the top. A coil wound with a 'quarter wavelength of wire' will always have a resonant frequency signficantly below the mythical frequency for which the wavelength is assumed. A straight quarter wavelength of wire would be resonant in principle but that would no longer be a 'coil'! I forget exactly what Tesla wrote on the subject but I think he was guilty either of bad think or bad writing - he should have known better.

Best to talk about 'coils with one end grounded and high voltage at top' or 'coils with the center grounded and high voltage at the two ends'. Sort of a very rough analogy to quarter wave and half wave resonance but rough at best. Any practical coil has a height to diameter ratio less than an extreme of about ten times and will be a tiny fraction of a wavelength high. This means it's an exceedingly inefficient radiator so any analogy to an antenna is pretty tenuous.

Ed