Re: [TCML] DC tesla coil

On 5/31/11 8:16 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
So i have built a couple regular coils and now i would like to try my hand at a DC coil.
I have a two 12kv 60ma NST's or one 15kv potential transformer that i would like to use.

My question is in regard to the large inductor that would be on the secondary side of the HV power supply.

D oes anyone have a good design for the inductor used in a DC coil arrangement? What wire gauge to use? Do I need an iron core (i have a 1KVA core available) or is an air core fine? etc...

I am guessing that larger capacitor values are preferred on these setups, am i right on this?
And what are the typical required values for a deQing diode?
Is the use of a terry filter still recommended?

Richie Burnett's site has lots of useful design information
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

You'll almost certainly need an iron core in the charging inductor. Basically, it has to store enough energy for each "bang" so that means Henries.. It's tough to get there with large enough wire and no core.