[TCML] SSTC type Drive for X-ray transformer

I'm speculating about schemes to repurpose an Xray transformer I have for a DC coil. It's in a portable machine designed to produce about 100mA at 110kV (10kW) and it runs at a few hundred Hz off a discrete multivibrator made with SCRs, powered by about 100V in NiCds (the idea is that you charge this thing continuously, then roll it down the hall to make your exposure, etc.... that way you don't have to have a 10kW AC feed..)

So, it's a bit clunky and 100kV is *way* too high for any sort of practical tesla coiling. So, my first thought was to power the thing off a high power audio amplifier driven by a variable voltage/frequency source controlled by some sort of regulator (i.e. one could make a variable voltage/variable current source).

But a (short) bit of contemplation made me realize that a 10kW audio amplifier is non-trivial in itself.

So I started thinking.. what about the same sort of high power circuits that are used in SSTCs...

Any ideas from the folks on the list.. Probably want switching rates in the 100-1000 Hz range. The original SCR scheme produced basically a square wave, so the transformer core is fine with the high frequency harmonics.

I'm thinking that I probably want to run this at 50kV Maximum output voltage (5kW, if I hold to the original 100mA current.. presumably that's thermally limited by the diode stacks or something), so I could generate a 150-300VDC bus with a lot of ripple with an off-line AC rectifier/small filter.

Suggestions for active devices, etc. gratefully appreciated.

(it has also occurred to me that if I can change the excitation frequency to the HV transformer, I can make a simple static gap TC that can do simple music.. an intriguingly simple implementation, compared to various triggered gap/variable speed rotary gap approaches.