Re: [TCML] the ir2110 mosfet driver chip for sstcs?

Hi Earl,

I have used the IR2110 in an SSTC application with no issues. From my
understanding the shut down can be explained in two sentences.

1. When the shut down is logic high outputs are turned off.
2. After that logic high is removed the chip outputs are again in phase with the
inputs starting from the next positive input edge.

So you just keep supplying your input signals and supply a shut down signal when
you want to shut it down and remove it when you want to start up again.

Hope this answers your question.

I had an interesting experience regarding this shutdown.

Thermal overload triggered the shut down of the IR2110 drivers driving an
H-Bridge. I turned off the AC power to the rectifier producing DC for the
H-Bridge, but the rectifier capacitors remained charged at 300V because the
MOSFET drivers were shut down. So before being able to investigate the shut down
I had to wait for the thermostat to remove the shut down command and discharge
the capacitors. 2 anxious minutes of wondering whether it was just a thermal
overload problem or something more sinister.

Sure enough after the thermostat cooled, the shut down was removed and the
rectifier capacitors discharged producing a little squirt of corona.

D.