[TCML] making a small design bigger

I'm looking at a solid state design for a modulated coil, two examples below:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-solid-state-tesla-coil/

http://www.megavolts.nl/en/projecten/tesla-spoelen/153-audio-modulated-solid-state-teslacoil-v2

They are pretty much the same thing - a MOSFET half-bridge driven by a pulse-width modulated pilot. Sounds simple enough and, except the loose couple coil itself, it's mostly technology I'm familiar with (back in the day, I designed and built everything from small automation systems to HiFi amps to systems with microprocessors, so I know solid state). I want to build something like this.

My question is - what are the general rules to increase the output of this type of design? (make it throw bigger sparks) I assume it's not as easy as winding more copper into the secondary coil. At some point, the half-bridge will go into saturation and won't be able to pump more power into the coil - if it's not already there.

I'm not sure where to begin tweaking the output. I realize a Tesla is not the regular low-voltage ferrite-core transformer I used to play with, so I figured I should ask before I build something and start popping MOSFETs like popcorn.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/