[TCML] vttc

Hi all,
As some of you may know, I have been building a very large set of 50kw
musical vttc coils.
The arc length was dissapointing, and I found experimenting on this scale
was expensive and time consuming...
So I have re set up my original bench top coil and have been running
various tests to gain more experience.

So far all my tests have been CW (I am part way through building a pulse
circuit to drive the cathode).
First off, I set up the bench top coil with the same circuit as the large
coils. It has the tank coil and cap in the plate circuit, and a "feed back"
coil in the grid.
To cut a long story short, after extensive experimentation, I was able to
get a solid flaming 2" brush of arc.

I decided to try a slightly different circuit design for comparison, so I
re configured to have the tank circuit on the grid, and the "feed back"
coil on the plate.

After playing around a bit, I was able to increase the output to 3" arcs
for the same amount of power!
Next, I decided to use the lower few turns of the secondary coil, as the
inductance for the tank circuit (connected to the grid)...
The idea was that it might force the grid to follow the shifting resonant
frequency of the secondary coil when it is producing an arc.

This increased the output to 4" which is twice the original output with
the same power input.

I was amazed at this because with no tank cap in the primary (the circuit
transfering the power to the secondary), there would not be the usual tank
currents involved....

Has anyone experimented with a similar circuit to this?
I am wondering if it would scale up to a much larger system...?

Comments?

Thanks,

carlos