Re: [TCML] BIG solid state - Fire Dept Issues

I say do like we do around here...Stuff 'em and bake 'em, Bake 'em (either git 'em stoned or hand 'em the jug of everclear,)"Bake cycle" Them feed "em burgers and hotdogs off the grill 'till they can't move ("stuffing cycle") Then of course set 'em down in a comfy lawm chair to watch the show until another more important call comes in.. N.P. ,P.S. Small town everyone knows everybody and their vices and it is good to have friends in the fire department... Cheers Binny.... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Lau" <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] BIG solid state - Fire Dept Issues

I can throw in my $0.02

Fire departments, operate based upon an abundance of caution, and
understandably, often ignorance. The last time I ran my 15/60 powered coil outdoors, several years ago now, was in my driveway. I had informed all of the neighbors on my street what I was going to do, but had neglected to tell
old-man McNoseypants around the corner.  It was maybe 5PM, I had run the
coil for maybe a total of 2 minutes, when a hook and ladder truck rolled
down my street and stopped. The guys get out and start walking up and down
the street.  I run over to them and volunteer "Um, are you here about some
sparks? A Tesla coil?" Blank stare. I point to my driveway. "That's my Tesla coil - it makes sparks". "What is it?" I briefly explain I built it
for entertainment, to make electrical sparks.  " Would you like to see it
run?" "OK". I turn it on, no major reaction from these two fireman, but a 3rd fireman comes running out of the truck, waving his arms, shouting "Shut
it down - Shut it down!!!"

Turns out old-man McNoseypants was able to see my driveway from his house,
and claims that it interfered with his TV.  (I find that hard to believe -
he's on a seperate distribution xfmr, 200 ft away, and I had only run the
coil for a couple minutes) So he saw the sparks in my driveway, and called
the fire dept.

The firemen had nothing to say about the sparks but gave me a hard time
about causing TV interference and told me to stop it.  Sigh...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA