Re: [TCML] BIG solid state

Steve,

Great work as usual!

I have a theory that for a given spark length, a high bps coil can "get away with"
using a smaller toroid.  I'm basing this on the idea that the high bps coil (for
a given input power) will have a smaller bang size, which matches with a
smaller toroid.  However the high bps coil may achieve its spark length
more via repetitive "growth" of the sparks.  In other words perhaps the
toroid size should "match" the bang size, not necessarily the spark length,
at least to some degree.

Low bps coils usually produce sparks that are 3 to 3.5 times the toroid
diameter, but higher bps coils may produce sparks 4 times the toroid
diameter or more.  As far as I know, no one has thoroughly researched
this issue.  I have seen sparks reach to 4 times the toroid diameter
at low bps in some cases however.

In some cases the high bps coils seem more likely to create "coalesced"
sparks which have a tendril-like appearance with a thick long trunk section,
instead of a wide spread out effect.  Greg's "old" large coil seems to show this
effect at 330 bps or so I think

I consider low bps to be 100 to 180 bps.  ...High bps to be over 300 bps or so,
up to maybe 400 bps.

Of course I usually see better "efficiency" at lower bps, at least in regular
spark gap coils.  I realize DRSSTC's have their own characteristics regarding
bps, spark growth, etc.

Cheers,
John