Re: [TCML] Inductor

On 6/24/11 12:25 AM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Anyone have any advice for winding small multilayer air core inductors for higher voltages.
I am planning on making a five .02H units using #21 wire. Just wanted to check in before I started

What are you using as a bobbin?

AWG21 is easy to work with, not so insanely fine that it breaks easily, not so big as to be too stiff to work with.

How much voltage are you planning to have across these inductors? There are different winding patterns, some of which have better HV performance than others.

For instance winding a "bottom layer" going one direction and a top layer going the other direction puts high voltage between adjacent windings.

98765
01234
-----

while doing a (harder to do, but works better) alternate keeps the voltage stress lower:

13579
02468
------