Re: [TCML] Wire and coating

Hi Jay,

You probably used oil-based clear polyurethane "spar" varnish.  This stuff goes on crystal clear and makes a very durable finish.  I used it on most of my secondaries.  However, it does tend to take on a yellowish or orange-ish tint as it ages.

One time I used clear gloss enamel spray paint.  I think it was a cheap, generic brand from Wal-Mart (Krylon?  Color Time? Can't recall).  I'm not sure which polymer "enamel" is based on.  To prevent runs, I turned the coil slowly on my coil winder as I sprayed on the finish.  I applied several light coats, allowing it to dry between each coat.  This yielded a clear, glossy, glass-like finish that did not yellow.  Held up fine in service too.

Good Luck,

Greg