Re: [TCML] First (Result Yielding) Light. A Few Questions...

Hi Brandon,

Cool news about the coil.

> The second thing I'd like to address is the large amount of
> sparks and
> corona I'm getting around the top of the secondary for
> about 4-6" down. I
> added a breakout point, and that hardly changed the
> results. Won't adding
> another topload as well as elevating them a bit away from
> the secondary
> help?

Don't raise the toroid--lower it.  The toroid must be low enough to "shade" the top of the secondary coil.  Be aware that toroid elevation can also shape the streamer field.  That is, modest changes in elevation may result in more downward strikes, more horizontal streamers, or more streamers curving upwards.  You'll need to experiment with toroid position to achieve both suppression of top turn corona as well as the most favorable streamer path.

> The third and final thing I want to ask you guys about, and
> possibly related
> to the last thing, is the racing sparks I'm getting as I
> dial the variac up
> into the 120-140V zone. That's just bad coupling, right?
> And wouldn't
> raising the secondary coil be the solution?

Yes, you'll need to tinker with coupling too.

> Thanks everybody,
> I wouldn't be able to do any this without ya',
> Brandon H.

Good luck with the sparky thing.

Greg