Re: [TCML] can I use a dimmer switch to control my coil?

> i've been watching videos of people who have made really nice
> tesla coils... and every one uses a variac to control the power put
> into the coil.  WHY?
     Because variacs are simple, work well, efficiently,
     are reliable and understood.

> they are so expensive, and to big for the control box i want to use.
     Design usually picks the box to match whats needed.

> Can't you just use a dimmer switch with a variable
> resistor, or a potentiometer?
     It could be done, but would involve lots of complication,
     new design, testing, some likely destructive.  Dimmers
     are optimized for simple resistive loads (light bulbs).
     Tesla coils are neither simple nor resistive.  A direct
     resistive control could be done, but would be vary large.

     best
      dw[