From: Futuret <futuret@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Variac Amps for a VTTC?

Hi,

For my 24" spark VTTC which used two 833A tubes, I often ran it
from a 10A variac for short runs.  The old Powerstat variacs are
robust and can provide easily twice their rated current for short runs.
The VTTC drew about 2400 VA.  The variac was a 140V "step-up"
type.  The use of the step-up feature stresses the variac more
than just 120V output usage.  The VTTC was run from a single
2400V VTTC with shunts removed and a doubler (level-shifter)
circuit.  I had my staccato pulser circuit installed, so this
reduced the input power when staccato was engaged.
VTTC's are power-hungry for a given spark length of
course without staccato.  I use the formula:

  spark length inches = 0.5*sqrt input power (wallplug watts)

I show some VTTC stuff at my website at:  (there are various VTTC links
to my pages)

    http://futuret.110mb.com/index.htm

Cheers,
John