Re: [TCML] DRSSTC tuning at high power

-----Original Message-----

No.. it's the speed with which the topload delivers the charge to the streamer that needs to be balanced with the speed at which the secondary feeds charge to the topload.  At a time scale of tens of nanoseconds (which is the streamer growth sort of scale), I think the secondary looks like a stiff constant current source putting a relatively constant current into the topload.

>> Take home message:  Topload size and shape will have a huge effect on spark
>> growth.  There's a tradeoff between L and C that will provide the
>> appropriate "impedance transformation" between the growing spark and the
>> current from the secondary.
>>
>> For the mean time, empiricism is probably your best bet, until someone
>> cranks out a good FEM code.
>
>Yeah, an accurate streamer/arc model would definitely be nice, but I don't
>see it ever happening... at least not in a way that would be usable for
>design decisions for coils.

Why not?  There's lots of clever people on the list, and we've developed TC specific models in the past.  It just takes someone getting motivated, and, often, the availability of some useful adjunct (e.g. another modeling tool to solve part of the problem)