Re: [TCML] Pushing a variac beyond rating

I've been using a 15 amp variac for up to 30 amp loads for 10 minute
runs for a long time, I would say you are fine.  I would not put it in
oil, one because that is a mess, two I'd be concerned about dissolving
your brushes, if it gets hot shut it off, go by that and you should be
fine.

Scott Bogard.