Re: [TCML] Permanent Magnet GDT(?)

Christopher,

This will not work as you expect.  Because of the field orientation within
the material itself, the permeability is very low (ideally near 1), whereas
un-saturated ferrite is often a permeability of a few thousand.  So unless
your magnetizing force (amp-turns) is very large, the core will not offer
much permeability, and consequently the leakage inductance will be large,
and the magnetizing inductance will be small, which makes for a poorly
performing GDT.

from your other email you said:

"I understand that the magnetic material is already close to saturation
when fully magnetized, as in a permanent magnet, but can that nearness
to saturation not be reversed by applying an opposition to the current
magnetic field?"

True, but you need a lot of field to do that, as permanent magnets are as
saturated as they get typically.  You wouldnt normally ever run a
transformer on that part of the B-H curve, its pointless because the slope
says the permeability is near 1.

I think that also, the material type is specifically designed to have a
large hysteresis, such that it *retains* its magnetism after the original
magnetizing force is removed.  This would be another big strike against it
in terms of using this material as a transformer, the energy loss per cycle
would be problematic.

Steve