Re: [TCML] looking for a small NST

On 5/31/11 4:55 PM, Daniel Hess wrote:
Hi James:

Perhaps it would help if you could specify the voltage and current you
require?

Daniel

On 5/31/2011 11:34 AM, James Hutton wrote:
hello. I am looking for a NST to buy. Something cheaper than ebay.It
needs to be small. No wider than 12".Anybody have anything to sell? Or
knows of a good place to buy?I live near toronto, ontario.thanks

OK.. you probably know that the going price for a new 15kV/30mA transformer is in the $100-$180 range, depending on brand, etc. (Transco and France seem to be cheapest, Allanson is more)
(http://www.partsforsigns.com is but one source)

Places like that tend to have distributors/warehouses all over the place, so you can do a "over the counter" sale and avoid the hefty shipping cost (and breakage risk) for shipping a 20-30 pound widget.

Ebay, as you mention, has lots of other choices, all at substantially lower prices ($20-50 seems to be a popular range) but you have to check closely things like primary voltage.

The first hit on Neon Sign Transformer I just did came up with a 12k/60mA unit at $44 buy it now, but it's a 277 V unit, and the shipping adds another $30... For a beat up used unit... I'd spend the extra $30 and get a shiny brand new one from a distributor)... another unit from the same seller is $29+25 shipping for a 12kV/30mA unit which looks a bit rusty, but might work. Seller claims it works, but doesn't accept returns. That seems to be the only seller of these things, and he/she is also selling suede shoes, jeans, etc.

There's also some other NSTs out there for $100 in somewhat better visual appearance (also $25 ish shipping).. Of course one of them in big red letters says no-GFI, but later on, it says Secondary ground fault protection next ot the date of mfr of Aug 03.

So... If you're looking for the sub $100 sort of thing, your best bet is to scrounge at neon sign shops.