[TCML] TC vs "Plasma Speaker" ?

This unit operates quite differently from my 3/4KW SGTC:

If I even move my hand within 6" of this small secondary coil, the output diminishes.
If I extend a wire several inches to the vertical, the spark is small.
I removed the banana plug and put a small 3/8" brass ball directly on the output wire = no spark.
Almost anything I add to create a top load kills the output to zero.

Power is getting into the coil ..  after 10 minutes of operation at the 85 watt input setting,
I must shut down for concern over the acrylic secondary form distorting: it gets Hot !
If I 'probe' the coil a few inches away with a sharp, handheld wire, I can see an ever increasing
brush discharge - the extent of which exceeds the top electrode output...

There is little 'tuning' than the 10K pot, and it seems to work anywhere from ~ 75% to 100%.
I slid the primary coil upward a bit .. this helps, but the output is not like a 'true' Tesla Coil.

My SGTC creates strong white streamers that break out from the top load in jagged, 'lightning' like
patterns. This coil generates short, hot, violet sparks ..  like a high power RF oscillator.
I don't understand the differing phenomenon, but there is.

Answer to John: Instead of a resonant primary, this system uses feedback from the secondary coil
via a short 1" antenna into the PhaseLockedLoop 4046 to allow the input driver to maintain
synch with the secondary coil resonance ... in theory at least. That the secondary gets hot is
indicative of power transfer.

So, I cannot even top load this coil with a 3/8" ball ... much less than my little 4"x1" toroid !
Something seems mistuned.....

Best,
Alex
If you're referring to the e-class plasma speaker I think you are, from Ebay,
 you should get a 2 inch plasma if you go through all the tuning procedures
in the assembly instructions. One thing is to extend the wire from the secondary
about 4 inches upwards and adjust the length until you get the best sparks.
 Also, it seems to work better for me putting a small 1/4 to 1/2 inch loop at the top
of the wire. I have the low power version and get at least one inch sparks and can light
up a CFL with it fairly well. I also tried a toroid, to no avail. Hope this helps.