Re: [TCML] 833A VTTC schematics

Michael,

Tuning up VTTC's can be a time consuming process to get optimal
performance.  The various adjustments tend to interact.  If the tubes
get red while producing 8" sparks, then somethings not quite right.

In VTTC's it's important to keep enough primary turns (enough
inductance, to keep the impedance high enough.  I always keep
the primary turns constant, and adjust the capacitance in the tank
circuit for tuning.

Here's an important tip:  An easy way to get an idea if you need
more or less C in the tank, is to alter the toroid size on the tesla coil as a
temporary test procedure.  If a smaller toroid improves the performance
(longer sparks, and tubes show less plate redness), then more tank
C is needed.  If a larger toroid improves performance, then a smaller
tank C is needed.  I wouldn't recommend altering the secondary turns
as a tuning method.  It's not necessary to use real toroids for these
tests, any sort of round piece of metal can work if the edges are
somewhat rounded.  Sometime I use the cover from a cookie tin
for example for these tests.  I make a hole in the center so the
spark emitting spike can protrude through.

I have 1.75" x 6" spun aluminum toroids available if anyone needs
them for a VTTC project, ($74 (free shipping within the USA).

  http://futuret.110mb.com

I also have some VTTC photos and information at my website.

Cheers,
John