Re: [TCML] 833A VTTC schematics

On 11/9/11 9:52 PM, Carl Noggle wrote:
Hi---

I checked out the schematic, and wondered how I could have missed a
voltage doubler circuit with only one diode. I simulated it in MicroCap
and found that it didn't work. It's missing a diode in the upper lead
from D1 to C7. That will form a half-wave voltage doubler, but I suggest
using a full-wave doubler as in:

Haven't looked at the schematics for a microwave oven, have you?

ALmost all microwaves use a single diode half wave doubler (the tube serves as the other diode). Consumer electronics, save every penny, and who cares if the magnetron actually is pulsing at 60Hz, since it's cheaper to just run more current than buy more diodes.

The waveform is pretty ratty, but it works for the application

If you have diodes and capacitors (the filter cap is usually the expensive part) then you can get less ripple and better regulation with a full wave doubler.

An advantage of the scheme used by Dan (and microwave ovens) is that the stored energy is much less, so if you get a fault, you aren't blowing up delicate tube elements. (well.. for a Magnetron, there's not much to blow up.)