Re: [TCML] 833A VTTC schematics

> 1. kickback (Wow!), touching circuit ground causes painful RF burns - I think I need to add a good earth-ground to the circuit
>
> 2. tube plate heats up red hot immediately after applying power, and the glass envelope definitely needs a cooling fan
>
> 3. to combat the red hot plate problem, I am in the process of building Steve's Staccato circuit which will then be added to the 833A filament via triac.
>
> 4. only produces 8 inch sparks - definitely needs some tuning.  I have several taps on the primary (tank) circuit, but I guess I need to alter the number of turns on the secondary?  As you can see on Steve's circuit he is able to get 22-inch sparks.  I can't figure out why mine won't make longer sparks as I have used all the same component values per the schematic.

Michael,

This "kickback" you speak of is caused by your body being charged by
the e-field around the coil.  No amount of grounding is going to stop
that from happening.  In fact, I avoid touching grounded objects when
in the near-field of my coil.  Your performance not matching Steve's
could be for a number of reasons, but the most likely issue is tuning.
 Also, you can't expect to get very long sparks with an 833 if you're
not using staccato.  The tubes can't handle the power necessary to
generate long sparks at higher pulse rates.  Keep at it .. it's
definitely  possible to get 22" or better from an 833.  I have
obtained a 64.5" discharge from my single 833C coil that uses a
custom-designed solid-state plate supply.

-Phillip Slawinski