Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 2:22 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] VTTC Power Supply with 866A

Hi

Others will no doubt suggest a string of 1N5403's or the like (not as pretty) however I'd suggest you persevere with MOT's for both the swinging choke and main Xfrmr (cheap and available) and make some suggestions.

I am not clear what DC supply voltage you are seeking but from your post I assume about 2800 v DC with a choke input L/C filter and want only 2 rectifiers hence using a centre tapped xfrmr to get Full Wave rectification

1) With MOT's as main xfrmrs and MV rectifiers only used (thus choke I/P filter required) 2800 v is a little tricky, you could play around with 2 MOT's per side and reduce the primary voltage in some manner.

2) An array of MOT's as a swinging choke, I's suggest a small gap in the E/I's say around 0.15 mm (this can be adjusted to set onset of saturation and hence the swinging point) An array of 3 in series with the right gapping should be about right but you may need to experiment. There will be a configuration of MOT's in series and or // that will do the job.

Some while ago I injected a variable DC current thru a MOT secondary while simultaneously measuring the AC secondary impedance (Hence L) and MOT's saturate with DC in the secondary very quickly unless gapped. These measurements assured me the array I built for a ring up choke in a DC resonant design would maintain it's L in the presence of DC currents. Can offer more advice off list if you need

Best
Ted in NZ