Re: [TCML] most corona possible from a car battery?

On 11/12/11 3:53 PM, James Hutton wrote:

Hey, I am trying to build an ozone generator that will be run off of
a car battery.So I need to figure out how to make the longest
possible, most carona emiting, continuous spark I can.

You don't need long sparks or high voltage, just enough voltage to get the corona discharge. And, then, enough current to get the corona off a LOT of little points. (few mA is sufficient, even for huge ozone amounts)

 I will then be
taking two metal meshes (about 3"x3") and placing them  about a cm
apart and connecting the two HV leads to them and blowing airthrough
the meshes while they spark.

The usual way is lots of sharp points. The ends of wire mesh cut off works quite nicely.

 I just need to figure out what setup
will be the best to generate that HV carona. It needs to be something
very simple and as compact as possible.I was thinking about making a
flyback driver set up, but I dont think that is the most efficient
and compact way to do it. any help or suggestions would be great!
thanks :)

Actually, a flyback putting out 1-2 kV will work very nicely.

Look up designs for "ozonators"...

shortwave UV light from a mercury vapor discharge tube (essentially a fluorescent light without phosphor and made of silica so it passes the UV) also does a fine job of making ozone. that's probably more efficient, since it's basically just a fluorescent light power supply.

How much ozone do you really need?